Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My purpose

I’m not a big fan of elaborate introductions or lengthy purpose statements. However, I do feel the need to state why I started this blog and to summarize my personal beliefs (and/or biases, depending on how you look at it). This is useful, but not fun. Feel free to skip it! But in any case, thanks for stopping by.

First off, I’m interested in immigration and the complex relationship between the U.S. and Mexico mostly for personal reasons. In this sense, I believe I can add value to this discussion because I do have a fairly unique background.

Although born and mostly raised in Mexico, I’ve lived on and off in the U.S. (legally, if you must ask) and my family has straddled both sides of the border for generations. Curiously, a good chunk of my ancestors were Americans, or rather mad Englishmen who originally moved here and somehow ended up in Mexico. As such, in the odious American ethnic classification system I’d probably be called an American-Mexican.

I’d also add that my academic background is in economics, but I have a passionate interest in other disciplines, such as history and finance.

That’s enough about me. What I’m interested in are ideas and facts. Having watched the ongoing debate about immigration from the perspectives of both nations, I’ve become increasingly alarmed and thus compelled to add my two cents worth.

What worries me so much? On the U.S. side, opponents of immigration are growing increasingly bold and shrill. For the record, I believe that people can be in favor of restricting immigration and controlling the border for very legitimate reasons, such as the impact of incoming migrants on the wages of native workers, security concerns and even on the grounds of assimilations and social cohesion.

Yet, many of those who are in this camp are clearly motivated by rank xenophobia/racism. Simply put, they dislike Mexicans and other Hispanics and want them out. Their arsenal, besides shrillness, consists of any number of unproven clichés, half-truths and distortions. Most notable among them is the canard is that Mexicans want to take back the territories lost in the War of 1846. Or trying to cast illegal aliens as simple criminals. Incredibly, they don’t acknowledge that they have long border with a nation of 105 million people and, no matter what they do, a sizable population of Mexican-Americans.

On the Mexican side, immigration has also become a huge topic, but mostly for the wrong reasons. The negative impact, such as the consequences of splitting families, are hardly ever discussed. Meanwhile, Mexican politicians never miss the chance to chastise the U.S. for the ill treatment of migrants, while evading all responsibility for the reasons that make them abandon their communities. To this I would add the fact that very, very few Mexicans have any idea about how the U.S. really works or about general U.S. opinion.

What should be done? Clearly, the current situation is not sustainable. Even if the backlash against immigrants fails to gain ground, it’s a matter of time before the anarchy in the border leads to a very nasty event (such as terrorist infiltration). To remedy this, both nations need to talk in good faith and negotiate. I’m convinced that a decent agreement that is good in the long run for both nations can be reached.

Mexico should recognize that the U.S. has legitimate concerns about the consequences of the current huge, uncontrolled wave of immigration and that it has the right to control or even stem it. Also, it will have to swallow the fact that any solution will involve tackling Mexico’s many problems with serious, painful (in political terms) reforms and that the U.S. will have a strong voice in this process.

The U.S. can begin by recognizing that it cannot impose a unilateral solution, such as the one advocated by those who want a 2,000 mile fence on the border and the deportation of millions of illegal immigrants. In other words, it has to realize that Mexico’s concerns and needs have to be addressed. Needless to say, it will have to assume a much more prominent role in pushing Mexico to reform while at the same time doing more to help and integrate the millions of immigrants who are already here.

I’m afraid that I’ve gone on long enough. Soon I’ll try to post the basic principles which any mayor immigration reform and agreement should be based on. In the meantime, I’ll be posting about new developments